What is Self Assessment?
Income Tax can be collected in a number of different ways depending on the type of income and your employment status. Self Assessment is one of the ways in which tax is collected.
Follow this link to find out more about Personal Income Tax and the ways in which it is collected: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/basics.htm
Self assessment tax returns are issued in April each year and cover the year from the previous 6 April to 5 April. For example, the 2009/2010 tax year covers the period from 6 April 2009 to 5 April 2010.
Follow this link to find out more about self-assessment and whether you will be required to complete a tax return http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/sa/need-tax-return.htm
Should you wish for SAIL to assist you in completing and submitting your personal income tax return for the 2009/2010 tax year will require the following information:
- Your full name and current residential address
- Your date of birth
- Your marital status
- Your UTR (Unique Tax Reference) number
- Your NI (National Insurance number)
- Any P45's and P60's issued to you during the 2009/2010 tax year
- Any P11D's (Statement of Benefit in Kind) issued to you during the 2009/2010 tax year
- Any dividend certificates issued to you during the 2009/2010 tax year
- Gross interest earned and tax deducted from savings and investments (normally you will be issued with a certificate of deduction of income tax by your bank or building society)
- Any other income earned (including capital gains, rental income etc.) and expenses incurred in generating this additional income
- Any charitable donations made during 2009/2010
- Any pension contributions made during 2009/2010
You should be able to find your UTR number on your personal income tax return which will be sent to you by Inland Revenue, alternatively you can ring them on 0845 9000444 to obtain this number.
SAIL normally charges £65 plus VAT for the completion and submission of a basic personal income tax return, £100 plus VAT during or after January 2011. If you would like us to complete and submit a personal income tax return on your behalf or need further information on what is required from you, please contact us on 0208 241 3495 or at email@example.com